Friday, June 16, 2006

Magellan Roadmate 300

I just bought a Roadmate 300 - one of the older ones. Been wanting one of these for years, and I saw a good deal on an 'open box special'. The seller assured me it worked, and it does - syncs up and tracks. Looks like a great unit. But I did not get the software that comes with the unit to download detailed street maps. I assumed I could download this from Magellan, or call them up and get a CD.

I called, and was told that the CD isn't free. I don't know how much it costs, because I had called tech support, and the person rudely told me I needed to call sales. After at least ten calls at fifteen minutes apiece on hold, listening to the worst on hold music ever, I gave up.

Why would anyone pay for this? It comes with the unit, and does not work with anything else. The tech support rep told me they had to charge for it because "I might have stolen it." Huh?!

As you can guess, this is a "no-returns deal." Call it a $275 lesson that Magellan has the worst customer service I have seen in a while, and this will be my last Magellan purchase.

***

Update: Finally talked to a human in C/S, and they told me they would send it right out, and the tech support moron was wrong about charging for the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment