Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Fatherhoodism

I was at my wife's workplace for lunch today. Yesterday she finally told everyone we were expecting so I got all the handshakes and hugs. One of the ladies she works with mentioned to me that they were going to 'get me ready for fatherhoodism.'

I have been kicking around the idea of being someone's dad for a long time, but it hadn't really hit home until the last couple of weeks. Just now, with that remark, it seems... well, huge. Wow.

How do you prepare for something like this? I figure you can't. You just have to be. All your priorities change, protectionism kicks in, all of that kind of stuff. If you don't take it seriously, you end up producing a person no one likes. Get it right and not much else will matter.

Today makes eleven weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment